JOHN SCHOFIELD TRUST CO-ORDINATOR
The John Schofield Trust is a charity which supports talented young journalists through a pioneering mentoring scheme which annually offers up to 40 successful applicants the opportunity to be mentored by the best journalists in the business.
We are seeking to appoint a part-time co-ordinator who will be responsible for managing all aspects of the Trust’s current activities including co-ordination of the mentoring scheme and its 40 mentoring partnerships plus administration of the Trust’s affairs.
We are looking for a flexible, self-motivated, organised individual with a commitment to the mentoring process, to become the main point of contact for the Trust and to administer its day-to-day activities.
As well as possessing excellent organisational, project management and administration skills across all platforms including website, database and social media management, the ideal candidate will also be a good communicator with experience in customer relations and event management.
The John Schofield Trust is a growing charity and it is anticipated that the role of co-ordinator will develop over time. The work is subject to peaks and troughs in workflow during the year, for example, during the scheme’s application period (January-March), and in the run-up to the annual networking event we hold (in the autumn).
The initial contract is for one year with the possibility of an extension, to provide 50 days per year, working remotely/from home using a laptop supplied by the Trust, with a willingness for flexibility with regard to working hours when required. The co-ordinator will also be required to attend eight Trustee meetings per year, which are held in London.
To apply please email your CV, with the names and contact details of two referees (one a recent employer) and a covering letter stating why you are interested in the role to: email@example.com by Thursday 28 February, 2013.
One-year contract (with the possibility of extension), £5k p.a./fee
JOB DESCRIPTION OF TRUST CO-ORDINATOR
Trustee meetings’ administration
- Arrange and administer Trustee meetings (eight London-based meetings per year)
- Report progress at each Trustee meeting
- Take minutes and distribute
- Follow up action where appropriate
- Mentoring scheme
Maintain contact with mentors and mentees
- Ensure contact is taking place between mentor pairs; liaise with trustees if any issues
- Promote scheme to news industry
- Oversee application process (1-31 January each year) including following up candidates’ references
- Liaise with trustees re: shortlisting process (February)
- Carry out an online survey with participants and implement any recommendations (January)
- Event co-ordination
Organise annual networking event
- Liaise with venue
- Liaise with sponsor
- Oversee invitations and acceptances
- Co-ordinate production and delivery of brochure (and any other related literature)
- Seek raffle prizes
Website and database
- Update and maintain the Trust’s website
- Co-ordinate Trust’s presence on online network sites, e.g. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter
- Be a point of contact for the Trust
- Keep and maintain a library of images for use in slideshows, literature and on website
- Liaison with university journalism departments and news agencies for attracting mentee applicants
- Working with trustees to develop the mentoring scheme so it is in place to attract professional accreditation, e.g. ‘Investors’ in People’ award
- Good communicator
- Excellent organisational skills
- Experience of managing events and projects
- Experience of customer relations
- Experience of databases and websites
- Appreciation of Data Protection Act requirements
- Commitment to mentoring
Useful (but not essential)
- Experience of using online networking sites, e.g. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter
- Experience working with the news industry